G'day folks, looking for something... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2016, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Question G'day folks, looking for something...

Hey all, name's Dan. I'm a young bloke who loves older tech... older stuff in particular really. I've got proper swords, pocket watches and everything in-between.

Now I'm looking for a PDA. Yep. I'm well-aware that most, of that tech is obsolete and I'd be better off just getting a phone. But I don't want a phone. I'm just after a modern version of a PDA that simply, and I mean simply, allows me to type and save word documents that can be transferred to my PC at a later time. Like a note-taker.

I don't want anything tablet-ish or large. Or phone-ish. I'm a guy that really gets strongly irritated by people that stick their faces in their phones 24/7 or don't even have the common courtesy to look at someone when they're being talked to.

Basically:
Pocket-sized device with word document use & save, preferably with it's own keyboard built in like this, for example. Wi-fi is a 'I don't really care either way' but PC usb connectivity is a must.

Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance

If no-one has suggestions, where/how would I calculate the projected costs of making a unique, personal device? And who could I sucker into making one for me?

loopy_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: G'day folks, looking for something...

Welcome to the forums.

Honestly just get an old iPhone/Android/Windows phone and don't hook it up to cell service. Sync notes to something like Dropbox or Google Keep (Android), and there ya go. if you want something fancy like pen capability...find a used Samsung Galaxy Note (any revision; it's up to Note 5 at the moment), and then you'll have a stylus with pressure sensitivity because of the Wacom digitizer.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thank you, but this is kind of what I'm trying to avoid. I've got an old iPod Touch and it's survived years for me. And I'm thankful for the thing, but I'm looking for something specified in the OP simply so I can have something fewer people have.

It's like my sword collection. People who come to my house are always struck stupid by the sight of a half-dozen swords. Not exactly the same when you pull out a PDA to take a note of something, but it is unexpected and almost an oddity. Which is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Checked here? Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post

Some good stuff, thank you very much. I'm always iffy about Ebay, but I'm considering a couple of them. Got anymore/ anyone else got anything?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You can also check Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Handhelds-PDA...F8&node=172594

Whether a specific item will ship to Australia will depend on the seller

edit: also places like Ali Express: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...SearchText=pda
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thanks man, I'm gonna browse through these and see if there's anything I missed.

Don't stop suggestions please & thank you, folks.

p.s. if I don't find what I'm looking for, where would I go to get one made specifically? Money is not really an issue.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If money's really not an issue, I could probably make one for you send me a PM with as much detailed spec as you can and I'll see what'd go into making it
Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
If money's really not an issue, I could probably make one for you send me a PM with as much detailed spec as you can and I'll see what'd go into making it
This is an entirely hypothetical thing at this point

I'll get back to you on that. Likely early next week after the Queen's Birthday (I'm a Brit, living in Aus so it's a public holiday). I'm not a huge tech buff to be perfectly honest, so may I just tell you what I'm after and you sort out the rest?

Because I'm really just looking for a flip device with the visual appeal and general size/ shape of this whilst preforming only basic functions: time, date, e-mail, no browser, make folders, make word documents (WDs), open WDs, type and save with a word counter for uni assignments and the like. Password locks on opening screen and per folder. USB connectivity to, preferably, 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

It's late here in Aus and my brain's mush. See what you think and general costs for stuff based on the functions I noted above. Thank you ten times over mate
Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Welcome!