CCNA -> Network Administrator vs. Bachelors

IDNeon

Solid State Member
How far does CCNA take you. I read that the entry level to network administrator is a bachelor's degree.

Can I get input on that?

CCNA will get your a networking job. Some places would hire you as a network engineer with just a CCNA and no experience. Some places require more experience and may give you a NOC level position with your CCNA.

CCNA is no joke though man, i generally rate certification difficulties in this order from hardest to easiest:
1. VCAP
2. CCNA / MCSE
3. MCSA
4. VCP
5. Any comptia exam like A+, Net+, Sec+

How far does CCNA take you. I read that the entry level to network administrator is a bachelor's degree.

Can I get input on that?

CCNA is the old cert, before the specialization certs came around.

CCNA, the old one, is what is now CCNA: Routing and Switching.

You have CCNA: Routers and Switches which is soly focused and designed towards wired networks, with some Wireless.

Then CCNA: Wireless, which is focused and dedicated to Wireless Networks (LAN, and WAN) and band frequencies and assignments including supporting devices, and some basic Wireless Security.

Then CCNA: VOICE, which is deisgned towards voice, and video communication networks. (like NCIS style in that giant TV room)

Then you have the final CCNA, the CCNA Security.

Touches all levels of Wireless, VOICE, and Hardwired Network and Information Security functional areas, including attacking/defending protocols. (Recognized by the NSA, and CNSS.

Most community colleges like the one Im attending, only does CCNA: Routing and Switching. As is most common. unless you're enrolled into a community college like one further south from mine for their InfoSec program, that does CCNA: Security. In my program we touch some areas of CCNA:Security, but not enough to take the test.

Just to add confusion to the ever changing and advancing IT world. Don't just stop at CCNA after college, go for your CCIE, that is where the real $$$ is.

You got to have your CCNA: R&S to get your Security, or Wireless. It's taken me a couple months to grasp these things, don't worry if it's info overload. It feels like it all just blends into a mess, but really it does make sense as you look into it.

A LOT of employers even don't understand the differences, or just aren't aware of the evolutions in the programs.

OK I need a clarifying post.

Talking to the Dean of information systems at University, he says a major in information systems will often get a network administration job.

But he also said that the information systems degree as far as technical skill goes may prepare you to pass an A+ cert and that is about it.

So what the ****?

Are bachelor's with such little technical skill and some database text books and business classes and text books on business information systems, getting network administrator jobs?

When the CCNA book is bigger than most major's text books combined?

What is going on here that such a major is so much more prized than the CCNA cert?

Or do universities typically exaggerate their information tech programs and their majors are lucky to get a burger flipping job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the school man, realize the skills measured in the A+ are not ones you will learn in school. I was a Computer Information Systems major (changed after 3 years to HR) and most of what my classes dealt with were programming, projects, creating websites, database management, ect.

The A+ is honestly a brain dump of protocols and hardware knowledge. It may have changed since i took it, but honestly remember being able to count on one hand how many questions dealt with troubleshooting (IE this is happening how do you fix it). Most were literally just puking up raw facts.

If you are going to a school that doesn't prepare you for the real work (which btw is NOT the A+) you need to go elsewhere. The short answer to your question though is yes, lots of people are book smart, get degrees because they can memorize and read a text but but can't troubleshoot or understand technology for sh1t.

Back
Top Bottom