Career Path in a Cloud world

IDNeon

Solid State Member
OK I've asked a bunch of questions, I am 99% sure I will go with the career college associates in IT and work toward getting a CCNA and/or MSCE certs.

Besides being interested in technology, liking tinkering with hardware, I am also basing my decision on this supposition that in a cloudtech world network administrators and security will be the most in demand jobs.

I'd love to hear discussion on this matter.

PS.

I'd like to work at a Data center ideally, my area has several and Apple is doubling the size of their data center here and at least 1 or 2 more moving in.

Any advice how to get in there?

Last edited:
Go for it! I work in IT systems and infrastructure support for SpaceX (networking: fiber and ethernet running, switch configs, etc, systems support: Linux systems mostly, some Windows servers) and let me tell you the demand is there. You'll pretty much be able to do whatever you want. The only caveat with SpaceX is they usually require a bachelors or better.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I think MCSE or CCCNA jobs are always going to be in demand. In our world today there is always going to be a need for networking and the infrastructure to run applications.

Things are moving to the cloud - but what a lot of people don't realize is that the 'cloud' is running in the same darn datacenter, just under someone elses roof. There is also a cost associated with it. You will see a lot of mid to large sized companies moving to hosted solutions, but the cost as it stands right now is too high for smaller companies or companies in industries that cannot afford large hosting bills.

Go for it! I work in IT systems and infrastructure support for SpaceX (networking: fiber and ethernet running, switch configs, etc, systems support: Linux systems mostly, some Windows servers) and let me tell you the demand is there. You'll pretty much be able to do whatever you want. The only caveat with SpaceX is they usually require a bachelors or better.

Yours is probably my dream job. I even considered interviewing with SpaceX as an intern just to give them my idea on how to stop a tumbling spacecraft using a tethering system similar to rolling up a ball of yarn....my idea is more complex than that that is just the best analogy.

Tesla motors is coming to town so I was hoping this career change would help me work for them...

Perhaps I can cultivate you as an associate? I'd love an in to the IT dept for Tesla or SpaceX.

Oh and regards to Bachelors. What kind of Bachelors? I have a Bachelors already and am not sure if they mean a Bachelor's in some specific field or in general (when a company says that).?

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I think MCSE or CCCNA jobs are always going to be in demand. In our world today there is always going to be a need for networking and the infrastructure to run applications.

Things are moving to the cloud - but what a lot of people don't realize is that the 'cloud' is running in the same darn datacenter, just under someone elses roof. There is also a cost associated with it. You will see a lot of mid to large sized companies moving to hosted solutions, but the cost as it stands right now is too high for smaller companies or companies in industries that cannot afford large hosting bills.

Furthermore some thing I've read and considered and thought out a tentative future for is security, control and urgency.

The Cloud will never have as good a service as local IT.

Security, some information just shouldn't be outsourced or off sited except in controlled racks?

Control, some data or programs need a more custom touch than a representative in an Indian call center can provide.

Urgency, some problems cost a company too much money to wait 8 hours for the same call center to reslove the issue.

IT may move the way of premium and rich companies now moving to the cloud will maybe find themselves building a tiered solution moving only what is insecure, or non-urgent, to the cloud?

Meanwhile small companies will rely in the cloud because they still can't spend on an IT dept either.

What do you think?

Oh and regards to Bachelors. What kind of Bachelors? I have a Bachelors already and am not sure if they mean a Bachelor's in some specific field or in general (when a company says that).?

They usually specify a degree. BS in CS or similar :tongue:

They usually specify a degree. BS in CS or similar :tongue:

Sometimes they do but I've seen a lot of jobs listed as just Bachelors.

I really dislike human resource depts (distinguished from companies) that prefer a bachelor's anyway because most Universities teach garbage.

For the associates I'm looking for I can't compete for a job with a bachelor's in the same field? Even tho I've read 12 tech manuals and another 15 text books?

But that snot nosed buffoon who has read only 11 textbooks on IT theory and no technical manuals with only 2 labs can get a better job?

I compared the curriculums and their text books of the regional university with the tech school in my area.

Puck human resource departments that don't understand the difference.

-sigh-

Last edited:
Ohh I thought you were talking about SpaceX in particular :tongue:

If an IT job requires a bachelors... it's a pretty safe bet they mean something IT related. Why would they want someone with a fine arts degree? Same goes for just about any job you apply for.

I've read next to 0 manuals and books, but I've managed to land a really decent job for my age. It isn't about "how many books you read" or whatever you're trying to get at, it's about ambition, problem solving skills (not just raw knowledge mind you, but having the ability to reason through a problem with that knowledge), and the humility to say "I don't know" in a situation you feel is over your head.

yes, sometimes HR messes up, but they're just a screener for a technical interview where the people with knowledge of the subject area at hand interview you.

And let me tell you, interviewers generally don't look for an attitude like the one you're displaying with that post :tongue:

Last edited:
Ohh I thought you were talking about SpaceX in particular :tongue:

If an IT job requires a bachelors... it's a pretty safe bet they mean something IT related. Why would they want someone with a fine arts degree? Same goes for just about any job you apply for.

I've read next to 0 manuals and books, but I've managed to land a really decent job for my age. It isn't about "how many books you read" or whatever you're trying to get at, it's about ambition, problem solving skills (not just raw knowledge mind you, but having the ability to reason through a problem with that knowledge), and the humility to say "I don't know" in a situation you feel is over your head.

yes, sometimes HR messes up, but they're just a screener for a technical interview where the people with knowledge of the subject area at hand interview you.

And let me tell you, interviewers generally don't look for an attitude like the one you're displaying with that post :tongue:

I'm very good at managing attitude :please

But again then, what got your foot in the door?

And why would problem solving skills be more valuable than what you've read? Not to start picking you apart but how do you solve a problem if you don't know anything about it?

I'm only suggesting your post is over simplifying your own skill set :p I'd imagine that in fact you have read a lot of material and have a lot of hands on experience.

I highly doubt spaceX picked you up because you beat the boss on Call of Duty and he thought surely such a wiz at COD would he a valuable team member.

But going back to examining a bachelor's it's been difficult talking to the Dean but finally I got him to admit that his graduates get entry level jobs where the employer expects to conduct on the job training.

Where I am at is trying to break-in so to speak is to get the same foot in the door but not take 4 years to do it.

If not having a bachelor's means I will have certain hurdles later to over come, I do want to work toward a bachelor's, but at this time the strategic advantage seems to me to be in the associates.

I still can't get my head around how a person with a bachelor's but no proven experience can get a networking administration job. But a CCNA can't? I will write a subject in this problem alone.

Oh and why not a bachelor's in fine arts?

My point there is what is the difference in having a BBQ in IT with 50 credits in IT the rest in general ed.

And an associates with 80 credits in IT and a bachelor's in anything else?

Back
Top Bottom