3D game deelopment - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Too cool for themal paste
Question 3D game deelopment

hi, i'm really into building 2d platformer games but I now want to make 3D ones, the only problem is that I just want to use one of those easy game making software but they are all too limited or complex (e.g: 3Drad and UDK)
are there any ones that are inbetween or better?

zaka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: 3D game deelopment

If you're wanting to get into 3D game dev, then you're going to pretty much have to learn how to use one of the more advanced developing tools. Which means you'll need to learn C/C++, working with wireframes/textures, etc.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Student & Lover of Games
Default Re: 3D game deelopment

Unfortunately no, 3D development becomes complex due to the added dimension... but you CAN consider a hybrid 2.5D if you wish. It allows for 2D gameplay but gives a little more 'pop' to graphics, environment and anything else you need.

UDK is great, but I will agree that it takes getting used to and learning everything... but is a fantastic engine tool/editor.

Also, it is possible to continue using easy game making software to create 3D worlds (GameMaker for example). I have seen first person shooters made with GM by scaling sprites and such depending on distance. It is a lot of work though.

If you decide to continue using UDK though, I am pretty knowledgeable and can offer assistance if need be. The UDK community website is also stuffed full of information and resources such as how to script the camera to a 2D platform style.

Here is the info for the camera and other possible views achieved using UnrealScript:
UDN - Three - CameraTechnicalGuide
XGC Forsakend is offline   Reply With Quote