Ways to open Office .docx documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
How do I open .docx files was an article that I wrote some time ago. It explained how users that did not use Microsoft Office 2007 were able to open .docx documents that they downloaded or received from users who were using Office 2007. Some time has passed since writing the initial article and I thought it would be nice to take a look at more methods and programs that let users open. docx documents.
The best suited method to open .docx documents depends largely on your computer system. Are you using a Macintosh, Linux or Windows ? Do you have an old version of Microsoft Office installed ? What's the purpose of opening the docx document, do you only want to read it or do you have to edit it as well ?
The best way for Windows users who have a version of Microsoft Office installed is to install the Microsoft compatibility pack for previous Office versions that adds .docx support in Microsoft Word.
The best approach for users that do not use Microsoft Office, including Mac and Linux users, would be to use one of the several online converters that convert docx files into doc.
Windows users could also download the Word Viewer application from Microsoft that opens .docx documents properly but cannot alter them.
Last but not least it is possible to use the OpenOffice. OpenXML Translator to open docx documents if you have the Novell version of Open Office installed. I did not test it with the normal Open Office application, if someone did please mention if it succeeded in the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom