Use one password on all websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Many Internet users tend to have a handful of passwords at the most that they use for every website that they signup for. Those passwords are normally weak passwords that can be easily remembered. The danger of this approach is that those users will most likely see a chain reaction of hacked accounts once one account gets hacked.
It could be even worse if those passwords have been used in real life as well which would open the doors for identify theft and worse.
Password Hasher is a Firefox add-on that computes unique passwords using at least one master password. This means that every website will have a different password stored in their database while the user will be using the master password(s) to access those websites.
password-hasher.png

The benefits of Password Hasher:
  • Strong passwords are automatically generated.
  • The same master key produces different passwords at many sites.
  • You can quickly upgrade passwords by “bumping” the site tag.
  • You can upgrade the master key without updating all sites at once.
  • It supports different length passwords.
  • It supports special requirements, such as digit and punctuation characters.
  • All data is saved to the browser's secure password database.
Users can change several options of Password Hasher. It is for instance possible to set a minimum password size and define if the password has to contain digits, punctuation or mixed cases.
It is furthermore possible to create a so called portable page that can be used on computers when the extension is not available.
via Firefox Mastery

I like the idea... is the browser's secure password database a truly safe place to store passwords?

Also, how is this different from the default Firefox master password thing? I've never used either... but I might... Is simply generating the passwords for you all it offers?

the safest place is in your head

True, but I don't have the memory capacity to memorize truly secure passwords. If they store passwords in sufficiently secure spot, I would probably be better off going with that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom