Use one mouse and keyboard on multiple computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I prefer to use a mouse and a “real” keyboard over working with the touchpad and the keyboard of my Toshiba notebook. I do like slim keyboards but I'm not that used to keyboards from notebooks and have troubles typing as fast as with the keyboard on my desktop pc. I obviously have to use the keyboard and an external mouse when I'm travelling around with my Toshiba notebook but I thought that it would be nice if I could use the keyboard and mouse from my desktop pc for my notebook as well when I'm at home.
The open source software Synergy makes this possible. Once installed you can use the keyboard and mouse that are connected to your desktop pc on your notebook as well. This is done by installing the Synergy software on all computers that you want to work with that way. Synergy is available for Windows, Linux and Mac which means that it is also possible to use this feature for computers with different operating systems.
One system - the one that uses the keyboard and mouse that you want to use - has to run the Synergy server software and all other computers the client version of Synergy. I don't want to go over the installation of the server, the synergy website has a very good installation instruction which is all that you need to get everything started.
Synergy has additional features that make it even more worthwhile. It is possible to copy text into the clipboard and paste the same text on the other computer again. It is also possible to use a hotkey (Scroll Lock by default) to prevent that the cursor of the mouse moves outside of the current computer. This is especially useful if you play computer games for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom