Use laptop as second screen? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software > Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Use laptop as second screen?

Hi guys I have a question I've actually been wondering fir some time now. I want to free up my Livingroom TV so I don't bother my fiancee and daughter. I want to put my ps4 on my l shipped desk and have it out of the way. Until I find a good monitor I like for gaming both on my ps4 and computer (4k monitor), I was curious if I could somehow use my laptops screen for those moments I want to play my Ps4?? Is there some kind of adaptor or anything?

sent from Spartaknight

nheppeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Use laptop as second screen?

Only if your laptop has a video input. Otherwise, no. I've looked into doing what you want, and the only thing I've found is that it's only really available if you have a video input.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Only if your laptop has a video input. Otherwise, no. I've looked into doing what you want, and the only thing I've found is that it's only really available if you have a video input.
Damn well thanks anyway man... I know the Alienwares used to have video input. I almost bough one but I wasn't a fan of the cpu and gpu not being upgradeable. Idk why they saudered to their boards... I ready a lot of forums where people weren't very happy with that.

sent from Spartaknight
Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheppeard View Post
Damn well thanks anyway man... I know the Alienwares used to have video input. I almost bough one but I wasn't a fan of the cpu and gpu not being upgradeable. Idk why they saudered to their boards... I ready a lot of forums where people weren't very happy with that.

sent from Spartaknight
I haven't seen any of the Alienwares that had the GPU/CPU soldered onto the board.

That said, Alienware is overpriced. I prefer MSI and Asus; I know there's one PP has mentioned on here before that allows for upgrades more easily as well, but can't remember the name of the company.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well I'm gonna say that msi, Alienware, Asus, and origin are the main gaming high performance pcs. I mean I know there's sager, clevo and what not but out of all those I found origins new laptop was pretty much all upgradeable and has the desktop processor capabilities so I went with it. I haven't been let down. Getting pretty great fps in ultra settings... I'm actually kinda mad I didn't switch to pc sooner lol.

sent from Spartaknight
Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Night Ninja

I've never messed with ASI, but Asus is definitely good. Well, now they are. I remember their first few waves of laptops... ugh... gray screen with large red letters in all caps that read "ERROR" as soon as you booted it up fresh out of the box. I saw close to a 30% failure rate out of the box on those. Glad they got that straightened out.
MidnightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
I've never messed with ASI, but Asus is definitely good. Well, now they are. I remember their first few waves of laptops... ugh... gray screen with large red letters in all caps that read "ERROR" as soon as you booted it up fresh out of the box. I saw close to a 30% failure rate out of the box on those. Glad they got that straightened out.
MSI is fantastic from the 2 MSI gaming laptops I've owned. Fantastic cooling is the biggest bonus.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

I had a guy come into the computer shop I used to work in with an MSI laptop complaining of blue-screens and it turned out to be a stick of RAM, we removed it (so he only had 24GB left) and the laptop ran fine. 6 months later he came back with a near identical problem, sure enough, another stick of RAM had failed, we again simply removed it and the guy was left with 16GB RAM.

Not sure if this was caused by the user overclocking or something, or bad RAM though really.
cb600fshornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb600fshornet View Post
I had a guy come into the computer shop I used to work in with an MSI laptop complaining of blue-screens and it turned out to be a stick of RAM, we removed it (so he only had 24GB left) and the laptop ran fine. 6 months later he came back with a near identical problem, sure enough, another stick of RAM had failed, we again simply removed it and the guy was left with 16GB RAM.

Not sure if this was caused by the user overclocking or something, or bad RAM though really.
Probably just bad RAM - it's one of the most common failure points IMO. Never had any issues with either MSI I've owned.