Universal Share Downloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A user commented that he would recommend the Universal Share Downloader instead which would work much better than Rapget. I decided to give it a try and after fiddling around with the Russian homepage I was able to download and install the Universal Share Downloader which reminded me a lot of Rapget.
The application itself has an English interface with only a few icons left in Russian language. It works basically like Rapget, you add links manually to the application which in turn begins the download immediately or queues it when the maximum of downloads have already been started.
The major difference that I was able to spot is that the Universal Share Downloader is displaying the Captcha from sites like Rapidshare as a popup prompting the user to enter the chars to start the download.
This means in turn that it is not possible to queue downloads and leave the computer for a long time because you will always have to enter the chars of the captcha.
HTTP, FTP and Socks Proxys are supported which is necessary for sites that have a country or download limit per IP. This is absolutely important if you want to download several files from Rapidshare for instance.
If something goes wrong an error message is displayed in the lower right corner of the application. My second download from Rapidshare for instance returned the error:”Server report: Wait 20 Minutes” which meant that I either had to wait or use a proxy to be able to download the file.
About the website of the developer. As I said earlier it is completely in Russian making it hard to figure out what to do. The first entry of Universal Share Downloader is the full program with all plugins and languages, the second is only the executable without all of them. If you choose the second one you will have to download plugins and languages separately to be able to download files from certain sites.
The first download link was broken but I was able to download the file from the second one entitled ac3filter.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom