Unable to delete .AVI files in Windows XP operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raghu Boddu

Solid State Member
This issue is due to the loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files cause the Windows Explorer to use 100% for CPU usage.

To resolve this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850D
C73E}\InProcServer32"

Hi I want apply this fix at my client computer, Can I do this safe, is there any chance that this fix will produce another issue in future ?

Friend, the easy solution to delate that file is that u run the operating system in safe mode, then u would be able to do so.
response me if it does'nt work

MPEG files

I have similar troubles with mpeg files. I have applied this fix for my avis but it didn't fix the mpegs. I can't find any references to what to do about mpegs - it won't let me rename, move or delete them. I assume it's a similar reason. Any idea how i can fix it?
Robin.

I'd rather find a registry fix. I'm a technical user and I don't like using "quick-fix" programs. I want to teach windows a lesson. And usually any one file will move properly in the next windows session. It seems a bit random.
Anyone know a registry fix or other sort of permanent fix?
Thanks.
Robin.

Robin, for those files, you are barking up a tree...and only teaching yourself a lesson...use MoveOnBoot. It works and a regedit isn't gonna get rid of the folder itself. THAT sucker will remain just hanging around to annoy the bejeebers out of you and there are some files you CAN'T edit even in safe mode, I know, I've tried. Liz

I mean I don't have one file that simply won't go, just that all large mpeg files can (randomly) be stubborn, and completely refuse to move or be renamed or deleted for that session of windows. However if I try again the next day it works. I don't want to restart my computer every time I want to move one of these which I'd have to do even if I do use MoveOnBoot. I know there must be some way to stop these files from beng stubborn and someone familiar enough with the windows registry and the way explorer handles video files will know how to remove hte problem.
MoveOnBoot just doesn't solve my problem. But thank you for the help so far.
Robin.

Actually, I don't reboot right after I use MoveOnBoot...I just use it and the next time I reboot, they go away.

And XP is like that, it is notorious for NOT letting you uninstall a file for 24 hours. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom