******Triple Boot Vista, XP and Ubuntu******

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I like guides like the following. The author is detailing the process to triple boot Windows Vista, Windows XP and Ubuntu with one single boot screen. I always thought how I would react when Vista comes out and I figured that I had to install it to bring you the latest and greatest tips about Vista next to XP. I always wanted to make the switch to Linux and it is a great coincidence that I decided to try Ubuntu first.

Looks like Christmas for a guy like me who wanted to get all three operating systems together on one computer. You need of course a CD / DVD with Ubuntu, Windows Vista and XP. Ubuntu can be downloaded freely and burned to a CD, you need to possess or purchase XP and Vista. I would not recommend to use a release candidate of Vista for this triple boot system, it could ruin everything when the trial period runs out.

The author suggests to completely wipe the hard drive that you want to install the operating systems on - I think it is the best approach next to using a new hard drive for this. Dariks Boot and Nuke is a freeware tool that is able to wipe your disk, make sure you select the right one before you proceed. Better yet, disconnect all drives that should not take harm in any way. Please note that you could also only do a quick format or no format at all and install the operating systems. Partitioning will destroy most data on the drive nevertheless.
The installation starts with Ubuntu and the partitioning of the hard drive from within the installation of Ubuntu. Everything is explained in great detail including screenshots of every step, impossible to make something wrong here if you read the instructions carefully.

After that he walks you through the XP and Vista installation. Everything is detailed just like the Ubuntu installation guide.

Most users should be happy with this setup. Someone pointed out that you could also start with XP, install Vista afterwards and finally Ubuntu to use the Bootloader of Ubuntu instead of the Windows one.

http://www.hevnikov.com/blog/2006/11/13/triple-boot-xp-vista-ubuntu-with-single-boot-screen/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom