ThinkingRock - Desktop GTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
When it comes to GTD I'm pretty picky about what I use. I do enjoy the simplicity of online applications like Simple GTD, but if I have a lot of very elaborate projects I need much more power. There are online solutions, but the great ones like Nozbe tend to cost money. While I have no problem with that, my picky nature means that the chances of an app working for me is slim.
Then along came ThnkingRock, an Australia based application that has all the power of the online apps, plus more, for free. It has been developed for Linux, OS X and Windows and is currently in its 2.0 epsilon release.
In short, ThinkingRock implements David Allen's GTD methodology pretty much as close as any app can come to it and it stays true to it throughout the way. It keeps the stages of GTD distinctly separate and enables you to create advanced reports, print them or save them as pdf, xls, etc.
What I love most about ThinkingRock is the way it manages task processing. In most applications, this is not really a separate step, it happens in conjuncture with collection. You usually create a task and assign it a project, a context, some notes maybe and that's it. In Thinking rock you can actually collect thoughts. Just jot it down and save it. At the end of the day you can come back and process these thoughts, adding necessary info to each one. They are shown one by one, so it captures the true essence of “processing”. I love this because what seemed like a good idea and I may have created a project for it, might not seem so great at the end of the day. So when I get to processing I can still decide if it should be a project, or I should defer it, delegate it, or just delete it.

The app is full of great ideas and great features, I urge all of you GTD junkies to try it out, I'm trying to make it my one stop organizational app. Not having it accessible online may hinder some people and I agree that this is something they should address in the future. There is a Pocket PC companion available, but I doubt that is the solution here.

ThinkingRock - Desktop GTD - www.Tech-Dump.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom