Spyware Terminator a free antispyware software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Spyware Terminator is a free antispyware software which can be downloaded in several versions. The main version contains the Spyware Terminator program which scans your system for spyware plus the so called Web Security Guard which assigns threat levels to websites in the search results. Both applications can also be downloaded separately from each other and I decided to download the Spyware Terminator without the Web Security Guard.
Spyware Terminator assists you in setting up the software after installation by providing a setup assistant. You setup automatic updates, the protection level which offers a choice between beginner, advanced, expert and no protection, the integration of the free antivirus software ClamAV and finally whether you would like to send spyware information to a central server. Last but not least you can schedule scans and perform a fast system scan.
spywareterminator.jpg

The fast scan found several critical objects which are automatically rated as Threats, Safe SW and Unknown SW. The threats are obviously the most critical objects that you should deal with before you take a look at the two other categories. Most threats get an automatic ranking from one to five with five being the most critical threat of course.
You may select some or all threats and either move them to quarantine or delete / uninstall them right away. The spyware removal itself is recommending to use the uninstallation routine (if existent) for the spyware that you want to remove. It should be obvious that many spywares do not offer uninstallation routines and it was not a problem for Spyware Terminator to remove all of the threats in that category.
It could be tricky to receive additional information about the objects listed in Spyware Terminator. There is no obvious way to find out more about “Nwiz” from within the program which means that you have to perform a search on the Internet to be sure why this is considered safe for instance. There is however a way to contact the support team which apparently helps if you have troubles identifying a certain object.
Another way would be to use the forum at the official website which has a own subforum that deals with questions and problems that occur when removing Threats.
The fast scan did not scan all files on my system and I decided to take a look at the available scan options to perform a full scan of my system. Next to the fast scan you can perform a full scan and a custom scan, both offering several options to optimize the scan. The Full Spyware Scan gives you the option to perform a system scan, a registry scan, a files scan or a deep files scan while the custom scan lets you choose a drive that should be scanned.
Let us take a look at the real time protection which is one of the main features of the free spyware program. The protection is divided into three different areas, namely Application Guard, System Guard and Internet Guard. All three guards can protect several different elements of your system. The System Guard for instance may protect your hosts file which is often used by spyware and phishers to redirect you to fake websites.
The Internet Guard protects your system against Toolbars and Browser Helper Objects among other things which is indeed very useful if you surf the web with the Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Spyware Terminator is a nice program that is in my opinion at least on the same level as Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware for instance does not offer realtime protection in the free personal version which is a big plus of Spyware Terminator.
Most inexperienced users should activate the realtime protection feature making it much safer for them to use their computer on the Internet. I honestly never heard of this software before but I can only say that I will recommend it from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom