Speed up Windows Vista Search bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The search bar is an extremely useful and productive tool. At any time, you can just pull out your start menu and find certain files, or even use it alternatively as a Run Command bar. But as your files start to pile up, the search bar will slow down. By limiting your search results, you can get the search bar to work more efficiently.

1) Access your Start Menu Properties:
Right click the Start Pearl > Properties
properties.jpg

2) Click on Customize

startcustomize1.jpg

3) Limit your Search Results:
The search options are pretty straight forward:
  • Search Communications - Searches files in Windows Mail and Contacts. Deselect this if you use neither.
  • Search Favourites and History - Searches your IE favourites and history. Deselect this if you don't use IE.
  • Search Files - This is pretty self-explanatory. I prefer to have it to search this user's files since it is rarely that I ever search files in other accounts.
  • Search Programs - Leave this on if you want to use the search menu bar as a Run Command bar as well
search_options.jpg

The amount of speed increased will depend on your preferences. I recommend selecting search this user's files since it is most likely you will be searching for files you have created. Searching the entire index will take much much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom