SPeeD BooST ··...·´¨`» - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software > Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation SPeeD BooST ··...·´¨`»

I have a 1GHz Intel Celeron Processor. It is a slow piece of crap. And I want to play Warcraft III on it. But it lags like heck. The framerate is probably 1/2 FPS most of the game. How do I boost up my computer so that I can actually play the game? (At least my computer passes the minimum requirements of 600MHz)

I was thinking along the lines of increasing my paging file to 1 gigabyte. Would it work? Any tips appreciated.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

First off, paging file size should never go beyond 700Mb......it's just pointless. Second, in your case I might suspect your graphics card may be your biggest bottleneck....what card do you currently have? If you're using onboard graphics, then I can definately see where you're hurting. Also, how much RAM do you currently have installed? Put your computer specs in your signature(Which BTW, I'm about to do...hehehe)

All in all, given your hardware specs, we could either tweak what you have or suggest possible changes/upgrades in the hardware itself.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

1. lower the settings - resolution, picture quality, details
2. defrag - this will speed up load times
3. overclock - I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable with it
4. get a new video card - it will definately not be an AGP 8x system, so don't try getting an 8x card. you might be able to use a 4x card, but more likely a 2x card
5. get more RAM - you'd be surprised how much adding some RAM can do
6. format - back up all the files you want/need to keep, make sure you have drivers too, and format (wipe the hard drive) and reinstall everything. formatting gets rid of all the crap Windows accumulates over time, which slows it down. after a format, it will be a lot faster.
formatting is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing though.

otherwise, if you can, just upgrade the darn thing completely - new motherboard, CPU, video card, RAM, prorabbly PSU too (as older systems usually come with PSU's of much lower power)
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I agree with both comments about getting a better video card. Disk cleanup and defrag will help speed up your computer. Here's a link from Microsoft's web site on how to speed up your computer's performance.

http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/