Software Updates Week 8 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The last week was rather uneventful, not many applications have been updated in this time which had the direct effect that this week's list is rather small. Most of the applications in that list are updated nearly every week and only a few applications that are seldom in the list have been added.
For those who do not know what this list is about. I'm listing all software updates of the last seven days in these weekly articles so that everyone gets a quick overview of what has been updated in the last week. Only applications listed previously at Ghacks are added in this weekly article series.
If you think I missed an application let me know and I add them to it asap.This week's update of the week is Spyware Terminator, a application that is definitely as good as Ad-aware and Spybot, maybe even better.
Attribute Changer 6.0 - change file and folder attributes.
Azureus 3.0.4.3 Beta 26 - a popular Java Bittorrent client
CPU-Z 1.44.1 - displays all possible information about the CPU
Display Fusion 2.0.2 - multi-monitor application
DVDFab HD Decrypter 4.0.6.5 - rip DVDs to your hard drive and remove protection in the process
FileZilla 3.0.7 - an Open Source ftp client
FlashGot 0.8.1 - integrate download managers in Firefox.
Floola 2.6 - manage your iPod without iTunes.
foobar2000 0.9.5.1 Beta 2 - a very nice music player
Fresh UI 8.01 - a Windows configuration and optimization tool
Locate 3.1.7.2160 Beta - fastest way to find files and text in files in Windows
MediaCoder 0.6.1.4050 - universal audio video batch decoder
Mp3tag 2.39p - a great mp3 tagger
ooVoo 1.5.1.90 - multi-user video chat application
OpenOffice 2.4.0 RC1 - the Open Source Microsoft Office alternative
Process Lasso 2.58 - improves performance and responsiveness in high load situations.
SMPlayer 0.6.0 RC2 - my media player of choice. Plays almost any format out of the box without installing codecs
Spyware Terminator 2.1.1.314 - scans the system for spyware and adware.
TagScanner 5.0 Build 518 - a great music collection tagger
TestDisk for Windows 6.9 - a bootable CD with file recovery tools.
TrueCrypt 5.0a - first update of the excellent encryption tool
WildBit Viewer 5.2 Alpha 1.0 - a fast image viewer
VirtualDub 1.7.8.28346 - video capture and processing utility

Software Updates Week 8 2008

Besides CPU-Z PC Wizard 2008 is also available at the link seen there.

Spyware Terminator outperforms Ad-Aware and other programs with that being put to a good test lately. While selecting the allow option for Smiley Central's adware infested toolbar addon for each item a scan identified a back door trojan mixed in with the other 338 items it later found.

Unfortunately while seeing all of those removed it took a restore point in Vista to IE open up to the home page later. But the active protection similar to a firewall is effective as well as the scanning tool since that will find more data miners then programs like Ad-Aware 2008. Ad-Aware will catch what the other does miss at times however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom