Software Updates Week 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Software Updates Week 27

I did not post a Software Updates article on the last two Wednesdays which was partly caused by my away-period from the computer due to holidays but also because I wanted to find out if you would still be interested in those posts. It usually means a lot of work to gather all the information about the updates and it would not be a good idea to continue this series if it would not be interesting to some of you.
I received some emails and replies asking me why I stopped posting those articles which convinced me to continue writing those articles. I decided to write slightly larger descriptions on each software that has been updated, let me know if you like it that way better.
The application of the week is without doubt JavaRa 1.09 which scans the computer for the installed Java Runtime Environment. If an older version has been found it offers download links of the latest package and the removal of the older versions.
µTorrent 1.8 11439 RC2 - a fast lightweight Bittorrent client that can be used without configuration. Runs out of the box so to speak.
7-Zip 4.59 Alpha 4 - one of the most popular unpackers. Can pack and unpack in various formats.
AC3Filter 1.51a - A DirectShow filter for AC3 decoding.
Adobe Reader Lite 9.0 Revised - Revised version of this stripped down to the minimum Adobe Reader client. Runs faster than the original and has most annoying stuff removed.
AIMP 2.5 Build 254 RC2 - Nice music player that gets updated quite frequently. It supports all the things that users demand from a music player. I still prefer XMPlay though.
CDBurnerXP Pro 4.1.2.694 - Free CD and DVD burning suite.
Control Running Programs 1.0 Build 422 RC1 - Monitor applications, specify the amount of instances that can be opened and more.
Core Temp 0.99.1 - displays the temperature of the CPU and each of its cores.
CrystalCPUID 4.15.1.450 - Displays in depth information about the CPU, chipset and Bios.
doPDF 6.1.267 - The application provides access to a virtual printer that can be used to create PDF documents by sending other documents to it.
DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.0.6.0 - one of the easiest solutions to copy DVDs to the hard drive. It removes several known protections in the process as well.
eMule 0.49b Beta 1 - still one of the most popular file sharing applications out there.
FileZilla 3.1.0 Beta 2 - a great Open-Source ftp client. I prefer WinSCP though.
FinalBurner FREE 2.1.0.130 - one of the free CD and DVD burners out there.
Fresh Diagnose 7.86 - A software to analyze and benchmark a computer.
GMail Drive 1.0.13 - Use the storage space of Gmail as a drive in Windows.
Google Earth 4.3.7284 Beta - Access the world's geographic information.
IETester 0.2.2 - Gives webmasters the option to test their websites in various Internet Explorer versions.
JavaRa 1.09 - A great application that checks if the latest Java Runtime Environment is running on the system. If that is not the case it can download the latest and remove previous versions.
KMPlayer 2.9.3.1432 Beta - While I favor the SMPlayer I can say that KMPlayer is a worthy alternative. It does play most formats right out of the box which means that users have no need for codec hunting or codec packages.
MediaInfo 0.7.7.4 - displays detailed information about audio and video codecs used by a multimedia file which helps in identifying the codecs needed to play it properly.
Notepad++ 5.0.1 - my Notepad replacement of choice. Comes with several advanced features like code highlighting.
NVIDIA BIOS Editor 4.3 - An advanced tool that makes it possible to edit various Bios settings of a Ndivida video card.
OpenOffice 3.0.0 Beta 2 - the second Beta of this popular Microsoft Office alternative.
Opera 9.52 Build 10089 Beta - A new beta version of the fabulous Opera browser.
PC Wizard 2008.1.85.2 - A utility specifically designed for the detection of hardware.
Recuva 1.16.333 - A tool to scan a hard drive for deleted files that it can try to recover.
SIW 2008-07-15 - System Information for Windows is a software that displays all kinds of information about hardware and software of a system.
Shup 0.25 -Create Screenshots, edit them and upload them to various free file and image hosts.
SUMo 2.0.0.50 - SUMo (Software Updates Monitoring) scans the system for outdated software.
ToeTag 0.3.0 - a music collection tagger with the usual features.
Update Notifier 1.0.3.40 Beta - Another utility that scans the system for known applications and compares their version with the latest one.
Vista Codec Package 4.7.1 - Add codecs to Windows Vista to be able to play the most common and popular multimedia formats.
VLC 0.8.6i - I have been using the Videolan Client for quite a while before I made the switch to those MPlayer frontends which use less system resources.
Winamp 5 Full 5.54 - Winamp still seems to be the most popular music player out there.
WinMerge 2.11.1.1 Experimental - A tool to visualize differences between files and directories with an option to merge.
WinSCP 4.1.5 - A File Transfer Protocol and Secure Copy software for Windows using SSH.
Wireshark 1.0.2 - A network protocol analyzer that can analyze data from a file or network.
XnView 1.94 RC1 - a superfast image viewer that comes with the usual collection of utilities like converting images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom