smart duplicate file/folder utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjwabh

Beta member
I'm looking for some utility to help me do the following:

Search for duplicate files AND entire duplicate folders, and then automatically delete the files/folders that are in the more shallow directory path. e.g., if these two duplicate files were found,

C:\My Documents\Pictures\2004\Oct\Picture10-21-2004.jpg
C:\My Documents\Picture10-21-2004.jpg

the second file would be deleted because its full path name is shorter. It would also be nice if it could first recognize whole directories that are duplicates so I wouldn't have to deal with individual files one at a time when the whole directory is a duplicate.

The reason I need this is that occasionally I go through and try to organize my files/folders on one computer, and this usually entails moving files/folders into deeper subdirectories, but then it unfortunately causes more clutter when I go to synchronize my multiple computers.

Thanks.

Total Commander can sychronize two directories (including subdirectories). It will compare the folders and files inside them and delete or copy files & folders so they both match (if using asynchonous mode). It's like a much better version of MS Briefcase. I am sure you won't find a program that will do exactly as you described. That's just expecting too much.

I use Total Commander to synch the important data from my main hard disk to my removable backup drive. It only copies the files that are new or changed so the backup takes less time. Another thing you can use is MS backup located in all programs> acessories> system tools. After you make an initial backup you can specify windows to backup only changed or new files (specified by the archive bit in the file attributes) at scheduled times. The bad thing about that is stores your backup inside an archive instead of individual files.

There are some programs which can perform your tasks. E.g. Dupe Checker PRO 5.5. I use this prog and suppose that it's the best. There are different comparison criteria so you can manage the process simply! Its here: http://www.atory.com/Dupe_Checker_PRO/

PPS - Using Totalcmd for such purposes is very inconvenient. You can spend much time and have "nothing" done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom