The Sage English Dictionary and Thesaurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
IÂ’m very happy about the fact that Firefox 2.0 has a build in (English) dictionary which helps me correct most of the mistakes I make while writing articles here at ghacks. The build in dictionary is great but lacks certain features and that is why I went on a hunt for a better dictionary. Look what I found in my net today: The SageÂ’s English Dictionary and Thesaurus.

It delivers what the firefox dictionary canÂ’t. You may lookup words by simply pressing a hotkey, the word will be looked up and explained in great detail in the sage. If the word does not exist in the dictionary it presents a list of words that look similar or use the wildcard button to find the word you are looking for.

The great thing about the sage is not that it is easy to use. ItÂ’s purpose is not to deliver fast results, the process to lookup a word is simply to slow to be effective (mark a word, hit the hotkey, look it up in the sage, manually edit the word). The sage is effective when it comes to understanding words that you do not know. It also helps by being able to work with almost any other program on your computer.

As you all know the firefox dictionary is restricted to firefox and thunderbird, what if you want to write something in an instant messenger ? The Sage has a history function, can stay on top if you like. It displays synonyms and hypernyms while looking up the word and is able to create anagrams from the word as well.

Oh, the hotkey is CTRL+SHIFT+A, took a while to look it up in the documentation.

http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom