Retrieve Emails from other accounts with gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
There have been two drastic changes to Googles Gmail service in the last week. The first will probably make most users happy, gmail is now available to everyone. That is right, no more begging for invites, just visit the gmail site and signup for an account if you need one.

The second change might be interesting to users that have to work on different computers. Gmail now offers the option to access mail accounts that support the pop3 protocol from within gmail making it easy to use gmail as the central platform for all your incoming and outgoing emails. This new feature does not seem to be available to anyone yet, just check your settings in the gmail account and click on accounts.

If the option Get mail from other accounts: is visible you can add other accounts to your gmail account. IÂ’m however not really convinced to use gmail for my mail consolidation and administration. I have the same objections when it comes to online storage devices.

I do not trust companies enough to have important mails or files stored online on a server. There is always the possibility of misuse and I donÂ’t want to take any risks. Maybe IÂ’m a little paranoid about this whole thing.

Still, I will continue to download my mails from gmail using Thunderbird and IÂ’m happy with the solution. Mainly because I only work on one computer. I can see the advantages if you work on more than one in different locations.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/09/uh-oh-gmail-just-got-perfect/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom