Restore Desktop Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows XP does not save the location of the icons on your desktop which means that a resolution change will change the location of the icons on your desktop as well, the bad thing about this is that Windows offers no way to restore desktop icons. That means that icon positions change whenever you install new drivers for your video card.
Icon Restore is a small software that has two functions: Save the current desktop icon layout and restore desktop icons from a layout that has been previously saved. The installation adds the layout.dll to Windows XP which provides this functionality which is great because you won't have another one of those tiny extremely useful applications sitting in your system tray.
The options to restore desktop icons and save the icon layout are accessible when right-clicking system icons on your desktop. System icons are the My Computer icon or the Recycle Bin icon for instance.

Please note that there is a difference between a system icon and a shortcut to the My Computer icon. If your icon has a n arrow in it it is a shortcut and won't provide the functionality. To get the real My Computer icon on your desktop do the following: Open the start menu, right-click the My Computer icon and select Show On Desktop.
There is no uninstallation routine for this application. The author provides an executable that can be used to uninstall the function again. Oh, the tool works on all versions of Windows starting with Windows 95 and ending at Windows XP. No word about Vista support on the authors homepage.

www.Tech-Dump.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom