Recreate the Show Desktop shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The Show Desktop shortcut in the quick launch bar minimizes all open windows upon pressing the button. If you accidentally deleted that shortcut from the quick launch bar you might face a hard time getting it back there because there is no obvious way to create a Show Desktop shortcut.
Pressing Windows M might be an alternative although it does not minimize all open windows. It was for instance not able to minimize XMPlay, my music player. Fortunately it is not complicated to recreate the Show Desktop shortcut.
Create a new text document and add the following lines of code to it:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
Save it as “Show Desktop.scf”. Double-click the file to check if it is indeed minimizing all windows. You should at least have one window open to see the effect.
Right-click your task bar and uncheck the Lock The Taskbar entry. Now drag and drop the Show Desktop.scf file to your quick launch bar. Once that is done right-click the task bar again and lock the taskbar again.

Recreate the Show Desktop shortcut

Windows Key + M minimized my XMPlay just fine. As does Windows Key + D, which is what I usually use.

Good to know how to recreate that though!

Yeah Windows Key + D is for show desktop. I always use that and delete the shortcut. Just easier to use the keyboard shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom