Move dllcache to another drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
My dllcache folder in system32 has a size of almost 450 Megabytes on my Windows partition. The dllcache is used to replace a system file (dll) that has been changed with the original one. It bothers me that this feature of Windows takes up so much space on my hard drive. It is even more serious in my case because I decided to have a rather small Windows partition, every byte counts if you know what I mean.
The idea was born to move the dllcache folder to another drive while keeping its functionality. To change the location of the dllcache folder you open the Registry (Windows R, regedit32, enter) and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon and create a New expandable string value.
Name it “SFCDllCacheDir”. Double-click it afterwards and add the new drive as the new value for this registry entry (for instance e:\dllcache)
After rebooting your computer for the next time you will probably be prompted to put the Windows XP CD into the drive so that some files can be copied from it to the new dllcache location. Another way would be to simply move the files from the old folder into the new one.
If this is not happening automatically on your system you can use the command sfc /scannow to force Windows to fill the new folder with the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom