migrate/upgrade w2k.pro -> server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpod

Beta member
I'd like to ugrade my w2k.pro development workstation to use Server.2003 as my desktop development enviroment.

I know I can add a partition for a dual boot option. But can I simply upgrade from w2k to server.2k3 and have to not reinstall or reconfig everything ...?

My current enviroment is very stable and I don't want to hose myself ....is th but I need to leverage Terminal Server,is this upgrade possible -> advisable...? Or am I dreaming?

My alternitive is another box and just run terminal services for access...which is palatable, but just adds to my office clutter.

Thanks in advance for your input

I don't think you can install without losing your programs, unless you're doing a repair-install (and that's only with 2000 over 2000, XP over XP etc...)

if you have all the install disks for the programs, it is possible to back up some of the program files, install the programs and replace the newly install program files with the ones you'd backed up. that way you don't lose settings, unless it keeps its settings in the registry

since server 2003 is a completely different OS, this isn't easily possible. Server 2003 doesn't support upgrading (especially from win 2000) I suggest backing up all of your stuff, and installing server 2003 fresh. (just my suggestion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom