Map a key to another key (or no function)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I never use a few of the keys on my keyboard, the caps lock key for instance or the pause key. Since they are not helpful in any way and can also pose a problem if accidentally pressed I decided to map those keys to another function. I was able to do that with the software Sharp Keys which makes it possible to remap any key.
The reason for using Sharp Keys instead of the Registry is simple. It's faster, it offers a better overview and can be undone faster as well. With Sharp Key i was able to map the ESC key to the Caps Lock key which means that ESC is pressed when I press the Caps Lock key or ESC.
You can map other keys as well or disable them completely if you prefer that. Usage is pretty straightforward. Select a key that you want to map (From key) to another key from a list of possible keys (To key). In my case it was From Caps Lock to Escape. You can also map applications, functions (mute volume) or folders like the My Computer folder to keys.
Once you made all changes click on Write to Registry to make the changes in the Registry. The new settings will be available after a reboot or logout.

Map a key to another key (or no function) :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom