Male or Female? Your Browser's History Might Tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Male or Female? Your Browser's History Might Tell

A website should not be able to read the the history of websites that a user visited previously. An ingenious CSS hack and some spicy Javascript is however enough to use a trial and error method to find out if a user has been to specific websites.
Some webmasters use this method to display the social bookmarking and news batches of websites that their visitors have been through which is very effective in gaining popularity on those websites.
Others came up with a script that is using this method to estimate if the visitor is male or female. The Javascript makes use of the Quantcast Top 10K websites and the male:female ratio that they provide plus a neat algorithm to compute the percentages for male and female likeliness.
Mine turned out 50/50 because I don't use the history at all. Good luck and let me know what the script thinks about your gender..
The same principle could possible be used to display targeted advertisements. Have been to a lot of parenting websites lately? How about parenting ads? Like sports? How about an ESPN subscription? It's a bit scary, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom