Making the Most out of Windows Index – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Making the Most out of Windows Index – Part 1

Before writing this post I spent some time setting up my computer so I could demonstrate various aspects of Windows 7 Indexing System.
In this series of two posts following aspects of the Index will be dealt with.
Part 1 will cover:
  • Checking Your Indexed Locations
  • Registering Other locations
Checking Indexed Locations

Windows uses its index to perform a search for all registered files on your computer. It checks the library first – the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos folders as well as Contacts and E-mails. It also looks in Public Folders.
If you only have one hard drive, this is where the abovementioned folders will be found. However if you have two or more hard drives these may or may not be registered by Windows Index. Therefore, when searching for saved files on a drive other than Drive C: you will draw a blank.
When adding a new drive to your system, check whether it features in Windows Index. So the first thing to do is to access the Index.
  1. Open the Start menu.
  2. In the Search box, type Indexing options.
  3. When indexing options appears at the top of Search, click Indexing Options.
  4. This opens the Indexing Options window. This windows lists all Indexed Locations.

Making the Most out of Windows Index – Part 2

This is the second in the series concerning Windows 7 Index..
Part 2 will cover these aspects:
  • Rebuilding the Index
  • Changing the Index's Location
  • Using a Troubleshooter to solve Index Problems
Rebuilding the Index

The Index is relatively maintenance free but there may come a time when you can't find a particular file. You know it's there somewhere, but Search lets you down.When this happens it's time to rebuild the Index.
  1. Open the Start menu.
  2. In the Search box, type Indexing options.
  3. When indexing options appears at the top of Search, click it.
  4. When the Indexing Options window opens, click the Advanced button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom