Keep your screenshots organized and ready for online use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Keep your screenshots organized and ready for online use

Making screenshots can be fun. But that's not all. As a blogger, designer or anyone who shares his ideas and experiences on the web, you know how useful they can be in terms of showing the others what was just happening on your screen when you were writing that awesome article about whatever it should be instead of trying to describe the process in writing. Unless you decide a screencast would be the most suitable way of demonstration, screenshots get the job done well. Does the possibility of storing them online right from your desktop and having them ready for use on your website sound tempting to you?
If so, meet an interesting start-up called ScrnShots. Besides having a fancy 2.0 name it provides you with a few effective tools for keeping the screenshots you take in order and for ease of linking to them and embedding them into a web page. One of such tools would definitely be tagging that can be applied on each image to make it easier for you to find your way to it later on. The function allowing the user to view existing screenshots in an orderly manner through the web interface surely comes in handy too but the thing I find most useful about this service is that it prepares a few links to various sizes of the picture for you to simply copy&paste these into your site to have the pictures embedded as links which take you to the host upon clicking them. Here, viewers can leave comments on your screenshots and view them in full size. One last thing especially addicted screenshotters could appreciate is getting a personal RSS feed updating anyone who should be interested in new shots you take and a partly customizable widget made up of 1 up to 10 thumbnails of your latest “artwork”.
ScrnShots preview:
http://www.scrnshots.com/users/Cyberfly/screenshots/16846
All this would be kind of clumsy if you had to use ScrnShots' online uploader every time you want to share a screenshot. Fortunately there's a very lightweight (5 files) desktop version of the uploader available for download from here that makes it possible to snap certain area on your screen and tag/describe the image before uploading it. There are versions for both Windows and Mac, however, I got an error message when trying to run it on my system. Hopefully that only happened on account of the application being a 0.7Beta and the new version to come will be working properly. If you do give it a try, please let me know whether the desktop uploader worked for you or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom