Improving XP's peerformance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chart47

Baseband Member
Improving XP's performance!

WARNING: Editing the windows registry manually can cause serious operating system damage if done incorrectly! Use at your own risk!

This is what you need to do if you want to somewhat improve the performance of win XP. Just follow the provided steps:

Start > Run > type: regedit

This with bring up the Registry Editor!

From here open the following folders until you get to Memory Management.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > CONTROL > SESSION MANAGER

In this folder you will fine Memory Management. Just click on it don't open it. So make sure the contents of the folder is disployed in the right portion of the window. There should be a list of main "REG_DWORD" type files. You need to create a new one so right click go to new and click on "DWORD value."

Once this new file is created give it the name "IOPageLockLimit." In continuance open the file and give it a value corresponding to the amount of RAM that you have in a hexadecimal form.

examples: 128 > 4000; 256 > 10000; 512 > 40000; 640 > 64000; 768 > 90000.

Essentialy take the amount of RAM you have square it then convert into a hex value for anyone who has a different amount of RAM than I've given in my examples.

From here save that. Next you want to change the values of some of the others. I'm going to give a list of all the files that need to have a "1" for there value data:

DisablePagingExecutive; LargeSystemCache; WriteWatch.

Most of the others should have "0" for there value with the exception of SessionPoolSize, SessionViewSize, and SystemPages. Leave these values alone.

This should improve the performance of your XP OS.

why dont you just increase the size of yur paging file

right click mycomputer > preoperties > advanced tab > under performance click settings > advanced tab > click change under virtual memory, i have mine set at 4 gigs, as i have 85 gigs of free space

If you have more then one hd it help to create a second page on it.

What i always use to improve performance is run > msconfig
here you can see what programs start at booting, taking away some useless stuff makes it boot faster and free up memory.
But be carefull with it as it can screw up your pc. Check out what the program does, why it's started at boot and if it's save to not let it start at boot.

i suggest that before editing the registry, back it up by clicking, file, export. files of type: all files. name it what you want...reg bkup..and sent to desk top

Hi what I noticed HDD speed is one of real bottle necks, IO operations takes much time as much fast memory as so slow HDD in comparison to it.

Am I trippin'? I know that I'm taking some drugs for my cold that I have.....but.....just seems that everyone is talking about different things here :confused:

Might I suggest a web site that will definately help you speed up your Windows XP and is probably quite a bit less confusing to understand. The guy that made this site knows everything there is to know on the topic. Must be close to 800 pages with tweaks and other things you can do to speed up your Windows XP. As long as you read his suggestions carefully they should drastically speed up your system. I'll give you guys the link: http://www.blackviper.com/

Anyway, I may be reiterating something many of you already know, but if not then I think this suggestion will be more then helpful in speeding up XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom