Image searching that works by TinEye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Image searching that works by TinEye

What Google has done for text search, TinEye is trying to achieve with image search. Instead of typing in keywords to find images, you can upload an image, or copy a link to an image and you will be presented with all the occurrences of that image on the net. At first you will see images which are identical, but as you go down the list, you will see variations.
This is a great tool for image researching and especially blogging, because often I find an image I like and want to use, if only the hand wasn't in the way like that, or the background was different. Of course many of these can be Photoshoped, but not in all cases, and quickly searching for a different image is infinitely faster.
If you install the Firefox plugin your searches will become much faster, you can just right click on a picture to search for it via TinEye. It doesn't get much more productive than that!

The service is currently in closed beta, but go ahead and sign up for a beta and share your experiences. According to the video there are only a few (as in about half a billion) pics indexed, but there are a lot more coming up. As a blogger I can say in advance that this is a tool I will be using more than heavily in the future. I can think of a load of features they could add, like license indication, advanced filtering to only show identical or varied images and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom