How a virtual console can keep you from losing work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source How a virtual console can keep you from losing work

Just about fifteen minutes ago I was working on an article for Linux.com when I thought I was going to lose a ton of work. I was writing my last paragraph on a 1,600+ word article (entering the article in their web-based system). I was going back to OpenOffice to copy and paste all of my work before submitting the article when OpenOffice locked up my desktop. After an explicative escaped my mouth I calmly set about to try to recover my work. I succeeded, but only with the help of a virtual console.
Now normally I do frequent saving to avoid such issues. But right now there is no Save Draft function so I rely on frequent saving to OpenOffice. It always works and I rarely have issues. This time, however, I did. When I un-iconified OpenOffice (I am using Elive-Compiz so applications minimize to icons) everything but he cursor and keyboard froze up tight. Or so I thought.What actually happened was that OpenOffice caused an issue keeping me from gaining access to any application. I could move the cursor but that was it. I couldn't get a menu or interact with any applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom