How to Repair the Vista Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I encountered a problem after I installed Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux next to my Windows XP operating system. Ubuntu and XP were loading fine but Vista was showing an error that it could not load a file which made me think that the bootloader was trying to access Vista on the wrong partition. Vista unfortunately has a new location where the boot information are stored, it is called BCD Store.

I first tried editing the boot.ini but did not find an entry for Vista in there. After searching the internet for about half an hour I discovered many forum entries about the problem that I faced and finally a link to a program called Windows Vista Boot Pro, a freeware which displays the boot information in Windows XP and the option to edit the entries.

The first tab of the Vista Boot Pro displays the boot information that are stored in BCD Store. My previous assumption proved correct because there was no drive assigned to my Vista operating system which was strange. I switched to the Manage Os Entries and created a new entry for Vista with the correct drive letter. I also deleted the old non-working one.

After that I rebooted the machine and was able to load Vista without problems. I hope that everyone who encounters Vista boot problems will find this tool as well. As Borat would put it: It is nice..

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom