How to remove ctfmon.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
You might have noticed a process with the name ctfmon.exe when opening the task manager wondering what it was doing and if it was malicious or harmful in any way. A quick search on the web revealed that it is a Windows process for advanced text services. You furthermore might have noticed that this process activates itself again even if you use msconfig to disable it from starting with Windows.
Before I'm going to explain how to remove ctfmon.exe I'm going to explain why you should not remove it. You should not remove ctfmon.exe if you use language schemes, translations, East Asian languages, speech or text recognition and other alternative input technologies.
Most users do not need it and you can free about 8 Megabytes of Ram if you remove the file. To do that you have two possibilities. User who do not want to change settings in the Control Panel could deactivate it by using a software called Ctfmon Remover which removes the process with the click of the mouse button.
If you are one of those users who would like to know where to remove ctfmon.exe in Windows you do the following. Open the Control Panel, click on Regional and Language Options, on the Language tab there, then on the Details button under Text Services and Input Languages and there on the Advanced tab again.
Check the Turn off advanced text services box and ctfmon.exe will not be loaded during system startup anymore. You can activate it the same way by unchecking the box.
Read More:
Ctfmon Remover

I tried disabling this the way you are suggesting awhile ago when I read it off of MS's site. It still ends up starting up. Is there a way to actually remove ctfmon without any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom