{how to] Enable Multiple CPU Cores On Startup - lockergnome.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
How To Speed Up Windows: Enable Multiple CPU Cores On Startup « Everything IT with Craig Chamberlin

by Craig Chamberlin on 03/08/2011
5 Responses (Thoughts?)

Windows Vista and 7 come standard without multi-core bootup enabled. This essentially means the operating system is not utilizing the full potential of the computer processor when the computer starts up. For those of you who have invested in a dual or quad core processor, this step is extremely easy, and should offer a performance increase for most systems.

click link for full article

would give rep, but I have to 'spread the wealth' first. must be a bunch of communists running the site :p

nice article, i'll have to test it out when I get home and see if it speeds up my boot times. 2 minutes for a boot now isn't unbearable by any means, but who can complain about less!

This is very old, and has been shown that the majority of the time, it doesn't help anything and can just cause issues, it's been like this since the XP days.

That myth has been around forever, and is complete bollocks. Vista and 7 (and XP I think, but I'm not too sure) use all the cores by default - that switch is only for limiting the number of cores you're using.

hmm, i dunno. i see it both ways. MS's docs make it seem that this switch is used to troubleshoot systems that have problems booting with multiple procs. But then again i can't find any information on the default it uses. This is actually a switch in the boot.ini. I would actually want to change it there, instead of using msconfig.

Some people in this thread says it works for them...but is this a placebo effect?
Boot Vista faster using multiple processor cores - WINDOWS.BLORGE

also, ms has posted that if you upgrade you may want to reset using easybcd becasue only a limited amount of proc will appear in task manager.
HOWTO: Get Windows 7 to detect your new multi-core processor - Microsoft Answers

so i guess the question is...if you change it, does task manager change?

my boot time went down. it boots faster than i can put on a pair of pants. I did time it and it's a little over a minute and a half and it was 2 minutes before i tweaked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom