How to assign a specific drive letter to the USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Dante send in this little tip and I thought I would share it with everyone. I have been writing about a program called USB Drive Letter Manager before which made it very easy to assign specific drive letters to USB devices. I mentioned that it is possible to assign drive letters to certain USB devices in Windows using Disk Management as well but did not comment on that further.
This is where Dante stepped in and wrote an explanation on how to assign a specific drive letter to the USB drive. He also mentioned that the tool would not work in Windows Vista and that the method using Disk Management would.
Right-click on the My Computer icon in Windows XP or on Computer in Windows Vista and select Manage form the menu. You can alternatively access it by entering compmgmt.msc in the run box or search box. Now select Disk Management in that menu and perform a right-click on the drive that you want to assign a specific driver letter to.
Now select Change Driver Letter and Path and assign the specific drive letter to the device.

How to assign a specific drive letter to the USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom