GoogleUpdate.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
GoogleUpdate.exe

Observant computer users might discover the process googleupdate.exe running on their computer system after installing a software product by Google. This can be the new Google Chrome web browser, Google Picasa or many other Google products that are installed locally. The process googleupdate.exe will run automatically in the background and check Google servers frequently for software updates.
Googleupdate.exe uses about 1.6 Megabytes of computer memory while running. This might not be much on computer systems that have Gigabytes of computer memory but can make a difference on low end systems. There is however another aspect that requires some attention. Googleupdate.exe will send data to the Google server whenever it checks for updates.
This data includes a unique ID number, languages, operating systems, version numbers and other install or update related details. Disabling the googleupdate.exe process is thankfully not complicated. The process can easily be killed at any time and will not appear again in the process list during that session.

The Google Update process is added as a service during the first installation of a Google software that makes use of it. To change its behavior one would simply open the services configuration with [Windows R], [services.msc] and hitting [enter]. The service is called Google Update Service (gupdatexxx) with xxx being a random ID)
A double-click on GoogleUpdate.exe will open the properties of the services with the option to change the startup type from automatic to disabled.

A click on the apply button will change the setting and ensure that Googleupdate.exe will not be started during Windows startup anymore.

...This data includes a unique ID number, languages, operating systems, version numbers and other install or update related details....

That doesn't seem good. Does Google do it for marketing and tracking user behavior ? If that isn't it, then why would they seek that data ? It just seems like hackers could intercept that data and use it for malware purposes.

^^^ The main reason I ditched Chrome as soon as I found out about it. Same with all the other Google crap.

I tend to be cautious with browsers, holding back on upgrades for a few weeks anyway, because during the first few weeks that is when a lot of exploits will start to take shape and be reported on blogs and online magazines. I will install upgrades, add-ons, etc. on a casual basis comparitively, but as far as new browsers like Chrome, I wanted to see how they would do.

I was hesitant to use Firefox back when it first started to attract attention, but it is my browser of choice these days. I know some people use Opera (I believe Mak said he does) and I found it to be pretty nice, except I just like Firefox all around the best for now. But Chrome, the reviews haven't been the best coming out of the gates.

^^^ The main reason I ditched Chrome as soon as I found out about it. Same with all the other Google crap.

Oh yeah, I wanted to address this. ^^^^

I was the victim of identity theft, and the purchase made with my credit card was associated it with a G-mail account. I still have the e-mail address written down. I just can't figure out how to find out who the owner of the e-mail address is, because they ripped my account of for $100. All set because of card protection, but I wouldn't deal with anything Google app-wise just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom