Get the Vista Startmenu for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I'm not sure why someone would want to have the Windows Vista startmenu for Windows XP because I feel that the missing run box is not properly compensated by the search box. The look and feel are nice though and this might be the main reason why some users would consider switching to the new startmenu.
ViStart is one of the possibilities to change the Windows XP startmenu into the one from Windows Vista. Unfortunately though the author did not add any kind of instructions or readme to his site or to the files that are downloaded. Making matters worse is the fact that there are two executables in the archive and it is absolutely impossible to tell which one to execute.
I decided to start the first one ViStart2490.exe and it worked so I did not test the second one named ViStart.exe as well. From what i can tell this could be working as well, they are probably different builds only.
After executing the file it took a few seconds until I was able to access the new Vista startmenu in Windows XP. It sure looks shiny and has all the transparency effects included. I was not really able to find out if there are some kind of options that you can access for configuring the startmenu the way you can do it in Vista.
It is possible to easily get rid of the startmenu again by simply opening the task manager and killing the vistart process.
vistart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom