Fully backup your MP3 Players, Ipod or USB Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Fully backup your MP3 Players, Ipod or USB Drive

While playing attound with the SCSI commands to get direct access to USB devices I found the reason for the physical device size detection problem. Because opening a device with restricted user rights fails when you flag read/write operations, I removed them during the detection process. Unfortunately they are needed to retrieve the physical disk size of a device. The volume based i/o operations are not concerned, because opening a volume handle for reading or writing does not require admin access.
With version 1.27 the detection process first tries to open the device with read/write access. If this fails, the device is opened without read/write access. In this situation the physical device size can not be determined, but volume operations work fine.
I also cleaned up the source code and did some testing with the SCSI command set. Using the information from the book, that I bought 2 months ago, and the spti sample from the Windows DDK, I was able to send an INQUIRY command directly to the device and retrieve a valid return from it. I still have to test the READ and WRITE commands, but for now it looks promising.

http://www.alexpage.de/download/usbit/usbit.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom