Free CD and DVD Burning Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
There are actually several impressive programs out there that can be used as a replacement for commercial CD and DVD writers such as Nero Burning Rom. They are interesting not only for users who do not buy a commercial products but also for those that feel that those commercial applications have become so bloated with features that their responsiveness has gone down the hill.
The list of free CD and DVD burning software tries to list all applications that can be used as an replacement. Those programs had to meet some requirements though. They had to be free, be able to burn CDs and DVDs, be able to burn images like iso and be able to burn files from the hard drives which includes audio and video CDs and DVDs.
The requirements have reduced the field quite a bit because several applications support only a few of them. Burrrn for instance is only able to burn audio CDs. It's an excellent program but it can't burn anything else but audio CDs. The same can be said for ImgBurn which does a very good job when it comes to disc images but can't burn files from your hard drive.
It basically comes down to the following programs: Infra Recorder and CD Burner XP
All two open fast and are very responsive to user input. I tried to write a short description of each application below concentrating on strengths and weaknesses.
CD Burner XP
http://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/cd-burner-xp.jpg
CD Burner XP looks clean and crisp and supports many features when it comes to burning CDs and DVDs. As with Infra Recorder it only supports a limited amount of image formats, those are iso, nrg and bin. Besides that it's complete. You can burn audio and video CDs and DVDs with ease.
It supports multi-sessions and bootable media and even Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and Double layer DVDs.
Infra Recorder:
http://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/infra-recorder.jpg
Infra Recorder can be installed as a desktop or portable application and supports most operations that I require. A major drawback in my opinion is the missing support for several disc image formats such as img, mds and nrg. It only supports iso, bin and cue images.
It can create Video DVDs and Audio CDs as well as Data DVDs and CDs which will be sufficient for most users I think. I personally would not use it because of the lacking support for several image formats though.
Conclusion:
Both applications are fine programs and both lack support for several important image formats. I personally prefer Infra Recorder though because it does not open a “what do you want to burn” popup at startup. It all comes down to personal preference at the end I think.
I personally think that both can replace commercial products such as Nero unless support for image formats such as nrg or mds is needed.

Free CD and DVD Burning Software - www.Tech-Dump.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom