Five Quick Windows Tips III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
This is already the third article in the Five Quick Windows Tips series of articles which concentrate on quick and easy to adapt tips that take only a few seconds to read and apply. Most tips concentrate on increasing productivity but some also deal with security related issues for example.
This time we have five new Windows tips that you will hopefully find helpful. They explain how to delete file information on the free space of your hard drive, how to access folder and file properties faster, how you can clear the cache of Internet Explorer when closing the browser, how to open and close all subfolders in Windows Explorer with a keystroke and how you can open My Computer with a simple keyboard shortcut.
Clear traces of deleted files
Windows has a build in way to delete file information on the free space of a hard drive. I normally use Eraser for this but this can be useful if you are in a hurry. Just use the command line and type cypher /W:path, an example would be cypher /W:c:\test
Access Folder and File Properties fast
You can open the properties of a file or folder quickly if you check it and hit ALT + Enter.
Clear Internet Explorer Cache when closing
Firefox has the option to clean the cache - and other temporary things - when closing the browser. Users can add a Registry key to make Internet Explorer clean the cache automatically whenever it is being closed. Locate the user or system key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache and add the Dword Persistent and set its value to 0.
Open and Close All subfolders in Windows Explorer
You can open and close all subfolders in Windows Explorer by pressing the * and - keys. The * key opens all subfolders of a folder in Windows Explorer and the - key closes all subfolders.
Open My Computer
You can open My Computer with the keyboard shortcut Windows + E

Five Quick Windows Tips III - www.Tech-Dump.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom