Firefox 2 Users Nagged To Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Firefox 2 Users Nagged To Update

The time would eventually come that Firefox 2 users would be reminded (nicely at first) that a new version of Firefox was available. The new version is Firefox 3.0.1. and it could be quite a shock for those guys who decided to stick with Firefox 2 because they did not want the features that Firefox 3 was offering them. This includes the location bar and the new way of storing bookmarks and RSS News Feeds.
Nevertheless all Firefox 2 users will receive a nag screen telling them that a new version for Firefox is available. The user has the option to select Later, Never or Get The New Version. Later would remind him after 24 hours, never would mean that he won't be bothered for the next weeks and Get The New Version downloads Firefox 3 immediately.
It is quite surprising that selecting never could still mean that the user will receive another update notification in the future. I have written about my Firefox Switching Experience and excessive Firefox CPU usage before which might be helpful before making the switch.

It is also recommended to backup the personal settings before updating to the latest version of Firefox, check out the Backup Firefox article if you need help with that.
Firefox 3 is a good browser and the initial problems that I had are almost all gone. I had to make a few compromises to get there but I would say that it was worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom