A Few Defragmentation Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
My defragmenter of choice has always been Auslogic Defragmenter, I have no idea how effective it is compared to other programs but it's simple enough and looks pretty.
However I came across Piriform Defraggler the other day and I was interested in one feature it had… individual file and folder defragmentation. At first I thought this was pretty superfluous considering it would be difficult to notice much of an effect defragmenting a single file or folder… however I have a laptop and not a huge hard drive so a complete defragment doesn't take huge amount of time anyway.
If you have a large hard drive however then this could be a very useful tool. I'm thinking of large music collections or DVD rips which go into the hundreds of gigabytes worth of space.

Using Piriform Defraggler to defragment just your music or video collection could have some kind of small effect on performance. Apart from this it has all the other basic features and even a nice monitoring tool which for some strange reason was omitted from the Vista defragmentation application.
Unfortunately there are no scheduling options but it's simple and works fast enough to keep most people happy.
For anything more advanced I recommend IOBit Smart Defrag. This has the kind of scheduling options you may be looking for as well the ability to defragment and optimise multiple hard drive partitions.
The best thing about Smart Defrag is that it can be set to start up whenever the computer is left idle. I think schedules are a pain as you might in the middle of something when a scheduled task starts up so instead running when the computer is idle is the best solution.

A Few Defragmentation Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom