Enable Pop3 Access for most Webmailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
It sure does have advantages to access mail accounts from a website like accessibility for instance. I never liked using webmailers that much because I did not like the thought that my mails would sit on a server somewhere on the Internet. The good news was that many webmailers such as Gmail or Yahoo Mail offered a way to access the mails using the Pop3 protocol and a mail client.
Others however do not offer this at all officially. Some clever guys created FreePops for that reason. It enables Pop3 access for hundreds of webmailers. Some of those offer Pop3 access while others do not. What I like about FreePops is that mail accounts are added in the mail program that you use, you do not need to configure the software at all.
You basically add a new Pop3 mail account in your email client and use localhost and port 2000 as the Pop3 server. FreePops automatically understands which mail service you want to reach because you had to add the email which includes the domain name during the configuration.
I suggest you take a look at the supported webmailers to see if the one you are using is among them. This is actually easier than setting up the accounts using the information you find at the webmailers website.
FreePops uses roughly 4 Megabytes of space in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom