DriverPacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
DriverPacks

Our downloads had been either slow or excruciatingly slow (speeds varying between 15 and 100 KBps) for at least a year. DreamHost is not just bad, but they're liars too. They promised multiple terabytes per month of bandwidth (a multitude of the 1.2-2 terabytes we were consuming), but they could not deliver that. At some points, they just stopped our downloads, because their servers couldn't pull it off. Essentially, they broke their contract. So a new solution was definitely needed.

On April 24, I was pointed to a new Content Delivery Network service: SimpleCDN. Normally, such a service is not affordable for an open source project. But this seemed to be, because of their unique approach: Pay Per File. You only pay once per file. No matter how many times it's downloaded.
That was exactly what we needed!

I just tested it while writing this post: I'm getting 1.4 MB/sec. I downloaded DriverPack Graphics A 8.04, 84.8 MB in 1:04. That's 1.325 MB/sec on average. Not bad. Not bad at all! While I was downloading it, there were 10 other concurrent downloads, whom had, I'm sure, similar speeds. Now that's no longer "not bad" but "pretty amazing".

Thanks to this massively improved download setup, the number of downloads has grown exponentially. Since April 24, there have been 2,864,350 downloads, worth 124,350.16 GB in traffic! That's more than 32,000 downloads per day, more than 1300 per hour, more than 22 per minute and more than 1 every 3 seconds. Or, in traffic: more than 1.4 TB per day, more than 58 GB per hour, or an average of more than 16 MB/sec!
That's nothing short of astonishing. It also is a pretty good indicator of how popular DriverPacks.net is
smile.png

So, if you're looking for a CDN, go to http://simplecdn.com. Mention you found them via DriverPacks.net. Not because DriverPacks.net would get some money thanks to an affiliate reward system. But simply to thank them: SimpleCDN is sponsoring all downloads of DriverPacks.net!

Thanks SimpleCDN. I don't know what we'd be doing without you!

http://driverpacks.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom