Download Media Streams from the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A long time reader of Ghacks mailed me yesterday evening asking me if I knew a way to download the multimedia streams from the BBC website. He used dialup to connect on the Internet and it was painfully to watch the streams online and far better and smoother to download them and watch them offline.
He was using Flashgot for this purpose but since the BBC changed their website he was not able to download those streams anymore. I did a quick look at the BBC World website link that he send to me and found an efficient way to download the media streams from there.
It comes down to using Grab++ and Orbit Downloader to download any of the streams mentioned on this website. It does not really matter if you go for the low, medium or high definition content all can be downloaded the same way. Please note that this method is only working for the Real Media streams and not the Windows Media Player streams.
Download Orbit Downloader and install it on your computer. Open the software and click on Tools > Grab++ in the menu to open Grab++.
Grab++ scans the system for multimedia files and will report any that it finds. Once Grab++ is running go to the BBC website and click on a Real Media stream that you would like to download. Grab++ will recognize the stream and display several files that it found. Make sure you select the right one which should be the only one with the extension .asf.
bbc-stream-downloads.jpg

Check that stream and click on download. This sends the download to Orbit Downloader where it will be downloaded as any other file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom