disk partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalenci

Beta member
I am just a beginner. I know nothing about disk partitioning. Can you teach me. Will partitioning improves me computer's efficiencies? How?

Partitions are just slices of your hard drive. The performance is completely dependent on the hard drive hardware settings.

If you had 3 partitions on a slow drive, that will not improve performance since the partitions reside on a slow drive.

If you have two seperat drives, obviously this will mean you have at least two partitions. If you use on drive as your OS drive and the other as your file storage, you should see a bump in performance.

I use 3 partitions for my Computer. one is my OS, the next is my documents. if you click start, then you right click my document (you can only do it here) and click properties, you move my documents to your second partition or your second hard drive.

I use my third partition for video editing. this also speeds up performance as your C drive (1st partition) convert a movie from my document (2nd partition) to my movies (3rd partition)

if u format ur windows very often its useful to have all docs on a seperate partition.

BTW,u can also rightclick my documents on ur desktop.

can I put Linux on a usb harddrive I have just gained - I am not sure if this drive can be bootable or not - all a bit confusing... Main c drive has xp on and external hd is ntfs formatted.

Thanx for any help

as for the bios, i think it should say what button on the bottom of the screen, but it may say something like press <f2> to enter settings...something to that affect

And as for partitions, there are a couple of ways to find use that i know of. I think the main one is organization. Also its helpful, if you want to run seperate OS's on one hard drive, but i'd have to research to get some real info. Also if your using ntfs, i think they call them volumes instead of partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom