Disable Adblock Plus for Bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Disable Adblock Plus for Bookmarks

Adblock Plus is one of Firefox add-ons that you will find on every recommendation list. The add-on blocks many forms of advertisement including popup and banner ads. It sometimes however blocks regular websites from being displayed correctly and I found it very useful to add my bookmarked websites to a filter that would allow ads to be displayed on them.
This has another effect. Websites that I visit regularly deserve the money that they make from advertisement. This does not mean that I click on a lot of ads but think of those banner ads that pay when someone visits a website. So, it's good for those sites and helps them stay alive.
It's pretty cumbersome to add all websites manually to Adblock Plus this is why the author created a script that processes a list of websites and makes them filter ready so to speak. A whitelist will be generated which can be imported into the Firefox add-on.
To do that you need to export the bookmarks in Firefox 3. Firefox 2 users can simply copy and paste the contents of their bookmarks.html file that is located in the Firefox profile folder into the form which will process the contents.
Firefox 3 users have to export the bookmarks as HTML before they can do the same. (Because Firefox 3 is storing bookmarks in a different way). Use the keyboard combination CTRL SHIFT B to open the bookmarks manager. Click the Import and Backup menu at the top and select Export HTML from the menu. After that open the file, copy all contents and paste it into the script.
All that needs to be done is to save the whitelist as a text file and import it into Adblock Plus to whitelist all bookmarked websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom