Control Servers from Mobile Phones via SSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Control Servers from Mobile Phones via SSH

If you are running dedicated servers, virtual private servers or even hosting accounts, you need some backup plans to cover eventualities. I was away for the last five days and had to make sure that I could react immediately when I would receive notice of an emergency. You need to know that I run a few scripts every minute that check if certain core modules are still running on my servers and that I receive an SMS instantly if they are not.
This helps if I'm near a PC but not if I'm playing with my five year old nephew at the North Sea. One of my backup plans included the installation of a Symbian version of Putty on my Nokie N73 mobile phone. Putty is a Telnet and SSH client that can be used to quickly connect to servers and start commands and scripts there. It would take only a minute or so to connect to the server and restart a module, like ftp, MySQL or Apache, if one of them crashes.
It can also be used to analyze what went wrong providing the server did not crash completely and does not restart. All that is needed is the free software PuTTY for Symbian OS which can be installed on a Symbian OS compatible mobile phones also known as S60 third edition smartphones.

Ports for UIQ 1, UIQ 2 and UIQ 3 are available as well. It's actually pretty cumbersome to work with Putty on a mobile phone that does not have a full QWERTY keyboard with additional keys like ESC which is why the mobile version of Putty offers a special send menu that provides access to those special characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom