Change the Default 'Save As' Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Whenever you are in any given application and you click Save AsÂ…, you may have noticed that in the Save As Box, there are some handy locations that are listed on the left hand side. The Default Locations are: My Recent Documents, Desktop, My Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places. This guide will show you how to customize these locations to whatever location you want.

Decide on which locations that you want to use as shortcuts. The exact full address path will be needed. To ensure that you get the full address path, I suggest you navigate to your desired location by clicking start then going to My Computer, then clicking into the various folders until you are inside the desired location. Then copy what is displayed in the Address line and pasting into Notepad.

Below are a few examples of locations (remember you can choose what ever location you want)

defaultshortcuts_04.jpg

defaultshortcuts_05.jpg

Looking at the above 2 screenshots for the first one, the address line would be: C:\Program Files .

For the other screenshot, the address line would be: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Favorites

I copied these (and chose a few more locations) and pasted the address lines into notepad (the reason I pasted these into notepad was just to keep track of them, if you wanted to simply write these down instead, that would be fineÂ…just be sure to write them EXACT, including blank spaces).

defaultshortcuts_06.jpg

Click start

then run

Type regedit then click ok

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar

defaultshortcuts_01.jpg

Note: If there is no PlacesBar key, simply right click on the comdlg32 key and select New, Key and then name it PlacesBar

Once you have clicked on Places Bar, on the right hand side right click and select New, String Value then name the string Places0. Then right click and select New, String Value and then name the string Places1.

Repeat this for Places2, Places3, and Places4 (if these strings are already there then you donÂ’t have to create them, just skip down to the next step).

defaultshortcuts_08.jpg

Now, Double click on Place0 and enter in the Address Location that you saved earlier of the first location.
defaultshortcuts_07.jpg

Then click Ok. Then double click on Place1 and enter the Address Location that you saved earlier of your second chosen location. Repeat this for Place2, Place3 and Place4.

Then Reboot your Computer.

Now whenever you are in an application and you click Save AsÂ… your new locations will be listed conveniently on the left hand side

defaultshortcuts_09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom