Boxee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Boxee

The following article is a guest post by Uk's finest Joe Anderson. You can pay him a visit at his own tech blog Webby's World.
Boxee is XBMC-based media centre software currently in private alpha, currently only available for OS X Leopard(Intel Macs only) and Linux, although a Windows release is in development.
Boxee is a social networking orientated media centre, allowing you to make recommendations to friends and allowing your friends to make recommendations to you. In addition, it has several features such as on-the-fly grabbing of subtitles, album art, descriptions and the ability to play streaming media from YouTube, last.fm etc.
It also has an automatic indexer, which can scan both local and networked storage, and an integrated DVD player. Mac users can also utilise their Apple Remote to control Boxee.
Overall, it seems like a pretty complete solution. I do have a few concerns regarding its ease of use. For example, you can't use your mouse inside the application and you have to change settings inside its interface (there isn't a nice separate options window, which would in my opinion be much more convenient). The automatic grabbing of descriptions/album art is a bit weak too, for some reason Boxee decided to identify the 1950s classic ‘Det Sjunde inseglet' as ‘Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs', despite the fact that is still in production!
Boxee will be a nice media centre should you need one, but the lack of support for TV tuners puts me off using it in my media centre PC. I think it's definitely an improve on Front Row, and the social aspect will add another dimension to it but is currently a little useless as very few people use it.

Why do you simply copy and paste news stories word for word? Can't you at least write your own version or credit the original author in your post? Yeah, you link to the page, but really your articles are almost entirely plagiarism at its finest.

You may copy up to 20 words or 1 paragraph per article provided that you attribute the material to [H]ard|OCP - www.HardOCP.com.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I think you can post complete articles for now as long as you link back
to my site using the title of the article as the link anchor. I will see
how this evolves.

Martin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall I go on? I'm not even sure why I'm even replying to this as you assume I don't have permission to do this.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom